The Sandhills Area Foundation scholarship program awards scholarships to Cherry County students to provide opportunities and financial assistance for them to successfully pursue their educational goals. We accomplish this through the generosity of individual donors who have established scholarship funds as well as the support of the Sandhills community through their generous contributions.
Sandhills Area Foundation (SAF) has given over $551,950.00 in grants and scholarships since its inception 19 years ago. In 2015 SAF awarded $61,250.00 in scholarships. Of the 2015 recipients, 17 were graduating high school students, 24 were college students and 3 were non-traditional applicants.
A new category of scholarship was added last year by Gregg Perrett and Kirk Barnes and was named the Chester Van Winkle Memorial Scholarship. We had two recipients for this $2,500.00 scholarship that is for those students that will be attending a vocational/trade school and have plans to return to Cherry County.
- Applicants must be a resident of Cherry County or a student enrolled in a Cherry County high school.
- Scholarship candidates can be a graduating high school senior, a student currently attending college or vocational school, or a non-traditional student pursuing additional education.
- Candidates must meet certain criteria for the scholarship they are applying for and complete its application correctly and in its entirety.
- Scholarship selection can be based on: Financial need, school and community activities, educational and future goals and academic and athletic achievement.
- Scholarships will be awarded for educational expenses to any accredited college, university, junior-college, vocational school or institution offering accredited nursing degrees.
- All scholarship applications are subject to a Sandhills Area Foundation Scholarship Committee review and will be awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis.
- Please note that all scholarships are competitive. The Sandhills Area Foundation Scholarship Committee may not award scholarships to all who submit an application.
The Sandhills Area Foundation is proud to support their community with these scholarship opportunities and encourage all that are interested to
2017 Scholarship Applications
Scholarship Deadline is March 10, 2017
SAF High School Application & Guidelines
SAF College / Non-Traditional Education
Application & Guidelines
Ron Billings Memorial Scholarship
Ted Weldon Memorial Scholarship
Chet Van Winkle Memorial Scholarship
For further information, please feel free to contact Steve
Brown at (308) 640-1604.
Past Scholarship Winners
2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009,
2007, 2006, 2005
* Please note the PDF files
are larger in size and may take several minutes to load.
If you encounter problems viewing our listings,
click here to Download the newest FREE version of Acrobat Reader.